Took this off my recent article for fear of length. Here are just the basics but more will be added.
Tips for Florence:
- A night walk is recommended…preferably in the wee early hours of the morning…I’m talking 1-3 am. There is no massive pressing crowd, the majority gone. (To be SAFE please only do this if in the company of big no. of safe and known companions)
- There is a table charge – usually 2 euros per person. Usually to avoid this, its best to supermarket and eat in a park, but we decided to treat ourselves – Italy in addition to many other things, is famed for its food, after all!
- Try Gelato…I’m serious its a must! True for anywhere in Italy but my favorites were in Florence. My personal favorites -pistachio,peach/mango, goats cheese and fig.
- Take into account waiting times for museums -even with bookings their are only shorter waiting lines. For the Uffizi, around an 1:30 to 2:30 hours, the galleria around1 hour. They let 30 people in every 30 minutes. I think its a great policy, because even with that restriction its still quite crowded…I didn’t even want to imagine how it would be without the restrictions.
- If you are from an EU country, bring your ID or passport! It gets you half price on museums. It’s worth it – 11 euros is a lot to pay, compared to 5.50 euros.
- The red wine of the region is a must try!